Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Story of Healing after a Devasting Loss~ Sarah, mother of a baby girl in heaven.

Dear Kelly,
Here is my story. I have never thought of myself as a good writer, but I want to encourage other women to find healing that I have. :-)
May God bless you and I look forward to working with you again sometime.
Sarah

My Story~
I have always been a "abs and obliques " girl. Not considering myself a athletic person, I was very fit when it came to strong lean tummy; topping my 500 situps in a row record in my teens and making a favorite of core “insanity" exercise program right before getting married at 25. My core was strong and together, but very tight. I had never heard of a “transverse” before.
 
Being due to have our first baby in July, I heard of a class on how to "bounce back after having a baby" in April and went enthusiastically being always eager to learn how to keep a tight tummy. I met Bethany Learn there and had a paradigm shift, adding "transverse" to my vocabulary and realizing abs and obliques weren't everything.  Bethany checked me for a diastasis and I had a 3 finger separation already. At that time I bought a splint and tried to remember a couple things Bethany taught but but did not pursue further.

In July I went into labor and after 5 long days and 9 cm we transferred to the hospital for a cesarean and sadly lost our little girl.  Needless to say, my core was tired; and I was physically and emotionally traumatized. I disconnected with my tummy and didn’t like to touch it, think about it or look at it. My scar was avoided above all. At that time I could fit a full hand in the separation of the transverse. I splinted because it felt good and that’s all I remembered how to do. 

Three months after we lost our baby, I built up the courage to call Bethany at Fit2B and she referred me to Kelly Dean at The Tummy Team. I didn’t want to deal with that part of my body, but my desire to be healthy enough to have another baby spurred me on. That’s when my story of healing began. 

Kelly was encouraging and supportive, making the “exercise as daily habits”  seem attainable and easy. She encouraged me to start massaging my tummy  and learning to reconnect to my core with engaging breathing which slow began my healing both physically and emotionally.  The most amazing part was that there was real measurable progress in just 2 weeks. 

There are a few things Kelly said that really helped me have better follow through perseverance. 

“Even if you skip a day and don’t do any of the exercises, don’t be discouraged. Just pick up where you left off and keep going”
“You may confront new emotions when massaging your core; they are completely natural, just keep connecting until it feels normal.”
“Just one step at a time.”
“Stay long lean and lifted”
“ I know its hard but you can do it”
“You are a daughter of the King.”
“You have a lot of of strength, you just need to connect to it again.”

Anyone can do it. Even the busiest mother. The key is being willing and The Tummy Team will teach you   the tools and help you create habits to incorporate into daily tasks. 

Over the next 6 weeks it seemed as if I was learning all the basic tasks over. How to breathe, sit, stand, have a bowel movement, walk and even empty the dishwasher! I started to have amazing posture and people in my life noticed and even started having better posture too.  My husband loves the “new me” and even reminds me when I forget to engage my core. 

I have become more graceful and tall, walking like the royalty that I now know I am. 

I am approaching 5 months mark since my little Kendrah went to be with Jesus. I am starting to feel whole again. My body feels connected to my heart and my mind. I love how my reconnection to my core has helped me reclaime myself in a new way, feeling better than I did before getting pregnant. I thank God for bringing healing through Kelly and I am looking forward to being a mother of many children when God sees fit.

I encourage anyone reading this to take a leap of faith for yourself, your children or your husband; because it is worth it. If you choose to, you can reclaim who you are one step at a time.

Sarah~ mother of one baby girl in heaven

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you Sarah. May God Bless your beautiful daughter in heaven.

    ReplyDelete