Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Nick~ 19 year old man with umbilical hernia

Nick's mother heard about The Tummy Team through Fit2b studios.  Nick is a healthy, lean young man who works as a computer designer at a desk most days but also helps on his family farm on the weekends.  Nick was hammering in fence posts one weekend and noticed a bulging area pop out at his belly button.

He was seen by the doctor and diagnosed with an umbilical hernia and scheduled for a surgery.  Nick's mother messaged The Tummy Team to see if we could help him avoid surgery.  One problem, Nick lived 4 states a way.

Nick was seen for 1 Skype session.  We addressed his core strength, his sitting postures and how he engaged his core for strenous activities.  We worked on repairing his "hernia" which appeared to be more likely a diastasis (since there was no tear, no bulging organs and little pain at the umbilical area).

We scheduled a second Skype for 3 weeks out that Nick contacted us and told us he did not need.  Here is part of his email to us...

"Thanks Kelly! Really appreciate your help, friendliness, and personability.
I'm excited about this - it's like a new healthiness that I didn't even know I was missing.


Just wanted to give you a status update - it's going great! Although I can still feel the diastasis a little, it's noticeably smaller and the gap that I felt along that linea alba line is definitely smaller. Additionally, I just feel better in general now that I have a better awareness of posture and correct breathing, and that active sitting position now feels right, not uncomfortable, and I can hold it for WAY longer without back support. I swapped out my office chair for just a nice, straight wooden chair and got an external computer monitor which is all the way up at eye level (my laptop was raised above my keyboard but I still had to look down a little) and larger so that I can see all the fine details super clearly without feeling that need to lean in.

I opted not to set up a check-in appt. since it's going so well but I am truly thankful for your help. It's a great way to start off a new calendar. Hope you and your family had a blessed Christmas and have a happy New Year!"
 
Nick was able to avoid surgery and prevent further injury with just one session with The Tummy Team.  

No comments:

Post a Comment