Monday, April 28, 2014

My Story~ 30 year old mom of 2. Core Foundations Online Program.

Part 1
"So, I thought I would share my progress so far into the C.F. (The Tummy Team Core Foundations Program) program (I'm halfway through week 5), and I'll attempt to be brief, though that may be impossible! A little background: I have 2 children, the last resulting in a c-section and a 6-8-6 DR. This was 2 years ago exactly. A host of problems to deal with: regular low back spasms/nerve pain, stress incontinence, and always appearing 5 mo. pregnant. Oh, and obviously having terrible posture.

It's interesting, to say the least, how the education process has evolved. Virtually every health care professional I saw offered no help, or suggestions. Well, aside from possible surgery. I then discovered Tupler, 3 mo. postpartum, which was encouraging to find something to work with! I made it through about 1/3 of the program, and 'life' became more of the priority (small children, kidding goats/milking goats, gardening, etc.) The next step was about 9 mo. later, when I then discovered Fit2B Studio, and this was a breath of fresh air. I can't say enough about how much I appreciated all the new information, questions that were answered, and encouragement.

I let 'life' get in the way again, even though I was armed with more information I could have ever dreamed of (and happily passed along to every curious mother I came across) I didn't completely heal my core (though it was improved), and I got out of the habit of doing regular TA strength exercises. I started the C.F. program, again in the midst of back spasms:

~By day 3, all back pain was gone. Previously, in the months leading up to this, I'd compare my back to an ice-laden, flimsy birch tree that is about to break. It feels much more oak-ish at this point, which was the goal.
-~Stress incontinence it greatly improved. A full bladder sneeze test further confirmed that yesterday. Woo-hoo!
~I've lost 4 in. around my waist up to this point
~Much improved posture (I've been taking belly pics., but after the fact wish I had also taken full length postural photos from the beginning)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly where I started with DR #'s. I have always had a tricky time measuring (the initial 3 mo. postpartum 6-8-6 check, 2 years ago, was by a Tupler trained PT. Even then, I had difficulty feeling the width. To me, everything was simply 'fluffy/squishy'. I could faintly feel the borders) So I initially measured too wide, thinking I hadn't healed as much as I had. When I measured 3 days ago, at the start of week 5, whatever I started out at, I'm at closed-2-almost closed. Like an upside down teardrop.
It is very exciting to realize that the wide gap that was once there, and I was told would not heal on its own, is that much improved.

I'm looking forward to the remainder of the program! I'm incredibly grateful for all that I've learned and the encouragement along the way, both from the Tummy Team, and Beth at Fit2B. Thank you so much!
I'm feeling normal again. Normal is good....."

Part 2
"Having finished the online program close to a month ago, I thought I would FINALLY take some moments, while the house is quiet, to share. Half way through the program I posted an update on my progress, so this is the product of the remainder of the program, and where I am at this point.

Starting with the numbers (which I've learned is only one piece of a large puzzle), my DR at the end of the program was closed-2-closed, and shallow. I lost 2 in. at the top, 4-4 1/2 at the middle, and 2 at the bottom. The latest check, 3 weeks after this ending measurement, was about 1-1 1/2 finger width at the middle. Let me say, I was not expecting results like this. I mentioned before that I was unsure what my initial measurements were when starting this program because I honestly was having a difficult time finding the muscles! Postpartum, 2 years ago, I was a 6-8-6 that was very deep. Let's just say I had a hard time looking at my abdomen while taking a bath; it was very disconcerting. 

Whatever the measurements, I was tired of having incapacitating low back pain, stress incontinence, constipation issues, terrible posture, and back/pelvic instability. That doesn't even take into consideration the host of problems immediately following delivery, and the months thereafter.
I can honestly say that all of those problems are gone. Even the stress incontinence, which I've struggled with most of my life. They are all non-issues. 


Certainly, everyone heals at different rates, and this progression isn't something that has happened overnight for me. I was concerned I never would heal completely, but I feel that I have. Even my clothes fit better, and a nagging foot pain that was always present is gone. 


During the program, not everything went oh-so-smoothly. My foot pain actually got worse before it got better and during week 5 I got terrible headaches daily, but they disappeared by the end of the week, never to return. So really, not so bad, all-in-all.


Now, after finishing this program, I am equipped to not only easily care for my children, but accomplish a host of other 'tasks' that require a strong core. Hauling wood, hay, buckets of water, sap, stone, and animals around, not to mention large scale gardening. A lot of physical labor that would break me, in my previous state. 


I recommend this program to as many people as I can. It's very comprehensive and doable. To be able to incorporate the exercises into every day activities, address the real issues, and come out of it with such a wealth of information................... Why NOT do it!
Many thanks to The Tummy Team and Fit2B (Kelly and Beth)! 


As a side note: the success and positive habits developed from the online program has pushed me to incorporate other good habits, or good changes into my life that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I don't need to bore you with the details, but let me just say that it goes beyond core healing, that's for sure!"

~ Samantha, mother of 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment